Parents Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security
Westminster Community Charter School (WCCS) is committed to protecting the privacy and security of student, teacher, and principal data. Pursuant to New York State Education Law 2-d, Parents, Legal Guardians and persons in parental relation to a student are entitled to certain rights with regard to their child’s personally identifiable information, as defined by Education Law 2-d. This page contains a plain English summary of such rights. In accordance with New York Education Law § 2-d, WCCS District wishes to inform the community of the following:
- A student’s personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes.
- Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child’s education record.
- State and federal laws protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information, and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State is available for public review at https://www.nysed.gov/data-privacy-security/student-data-inventory, or by writing to the Office of Information & Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12234.
- Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data addressed. Complaints should be directed in writing to the Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12234. Complaints may also be submitted using the form available at the following website https://www.nysed.gov/data-privacy-security/report-improper-disclosure.
Complaints to the District should be directed in writing to the Data Protection Officer:
24 Westminster Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14215